KANTOR supported the Agency for Cooperation of Energy Regulators (ACER) of the EU in the analysis of new markets and new technologies for natural gas, including the use of CNG and LNG in land and maritime transport, the development of CNG and LNG virtual pipelines for non-piped gas supply and the development of Power-to-Gas technologies. The study focused on the identification of barriers (regulatory, market, technological, economic) that may hinder the development of the new uses for gas and on the estimation of a market size for each use for gas in 2025.
- In depth analysis of each new use for gas (CNG in cars and light duty vehicles, LNG in heavy duty vehicles, LNG for deep sea trading and inland waterways, CNG and LNG virtual pipelines, Power-to-Gas applications), including description of the supply chain, the technical solutions applied, the economics, the stakeholders involved, the current applications in the EU and worldwide;
- Case studies for specific applications of the new uses for gas in selected countries;
- Interviews across Europe with key stakeholders involved in the new uses for gas, including technology providers, gas suppliers, gas system operators, network associations, energy regulators, car manufacturers
- Projections for EU-wide market size of each of the new uses for gas in 2025
- Identification of regulatory, market, technological, economic barriers to the development of the new uses for gas and recommendations for their resolution